Sunday, December 2, 2012

Recipe - Breakfast Burritos



With the advent of Pinterest and the change in my husband's work schedule, I have become really interested in creating freezer meals.  Freezer meals are bites that can be cooked in a large batch at one time and then portioned out for individual servings throughout the week.  I like it for two reasons (1) since my husband and I don't get to eat together every day, we can still eat the same meal and mentally share that, and (2) a lot less dishes to clean on net, since I am only cooking once as opposed to five times.  I've mastered the one pot meal in college because I hated doing dishes that much.

One of the most popular recipes that I have seen on Pinterest I have seen has been the make ahead breakfast burrito.  I swear I've seen ten different varieties of the same darn burrito, but none ever seemed that great to me, nor did they seem that healthy.  In light of that, I developed my own spin on the burrito, and I must say, it is really tasty and filling.

Breakfast Burritos
Total time:  30-45 minutes (depending on how fast you can fold a burrito)
Servings:  about 16 burritos, depending on how full you make them

Ingredients and gear:
  • 1 qt of egg whites
  • 8 whole eggs
  • 2 C shredded part skim cheese (I've used mozzarella and Mexican blend)
  • 2 small cans on diced green Chile peppers
  • 2 packages of large whole wheat flour tortillas (in the picture I have the white flour tortillas because I went grocery shopping at a small store this week)
  • 1 pound bag mixed pepper strips,or another vegetable if you so desire
  • desired seasonings (salt, pepper, garlic, paprika, cayenne, whatever you want)
  • aluminum foil - torn into squares that are about the size of the tortillas


Directions
  1. Put the eggs, egg whites, Chile peppers, peppers (or other veg), and seasonings into a large skillet.  Whisk until the entire skillet is well mixed and the whole eggs are broken.  You can do this in batches, but I don't because I don't want to double my work.
  2. Cook the eggs on medium, scrambling the mixture as it cooks.
  3. Once the eggs are cooked, set up your assembly line.  You can use my method as a guide (see picture below).
  4. Assemble the burritos:  Put a spatula full of eggs on the bottom third of the tortilla, sprinkle with some cheese, and fold the burritos.  Here is a good video that shows exactly how to fold a burrito.  Mine never look that good.
  5. Wrap in foil and place in the freezer.
  6. To reheat, remove foil (or don't and see a really awesome light show in your microwave), and heat up for 3 minutes on high.  Then flip the burrito over and cook for another 2 minutes.  Time varies by microwave.
  • Eggs on the left, work space in the middle, bowl of cheese to the right, and tortillas waiting on the right.  When assembling, I place a tortilla on the foil and then fold the burrito in the foil.

No comments:

Post a Comment