Sunday, December 9, 2012

I've had the same thing for breakfast for seven years

Almost every day, for the past seven years, I have eaten the same thing for breakfast. 

Oatmeal.

I know, it is weird.  How can I eat the same thing, nearly every day of the week, for seven years?  I've spent the past seven years trying to answer that question too.  As far as I could figure out, it is cheap, easy, filling, and very comforting, which meets all the requirements I have for breakfast (as well as any other meal).  Also, eating the same thing almost every day for the past seven years has really indulged my crazy person side.  Really, doing the same thing every day for seven years cannot be normal.  I mean, I am perfectly okay with it, but then again, I am a lawyer, which means that I am slightly crazy. 

Let's not forget, it is also tasty.  I wouldn't the same thing everyday without it tasting good (okay, maybe that is a little bit of a lie, but really, I promise, this is good.  I do oatmeal right.)

First, I get  bulk rolled oats from Whole Foods.  None of that over-sugared instant packets for me.  I'd like to say that I am all humble and I just don't love sweet stuff, but the honest answer is that I don't eat prepackaged oatmeal because I am a breakfast snob.  I've watched nearly every episode of all 14 seasons of Good Eats, I get food snobby.

Next, I throw some cinnamon in there.  At this point it may seem that I put cinnamon in everything.  No, I don't.  Just in breakfast foods.  I'm slightly weird, but I do have taste buds.  Finally, I top it off with the boiling water.  Originally, heating up the water separately was a holdover from the fact that I lived in a microwave free apartment for four years, but at this point it is habit.  Also, since the water is hotter, the oats absorb it better, which means better oatmeal.

What I've learned from this over the past seven years by eating the same thing nearly every day, and in the past 10 minutes by forcing myself to confess this to the internet, is that I am slightly crazy, incredibly weird, and really, very okay with that.


The Quaker Oats Quaker may be silently judging me, but I don't care.

No comments:

Post a Comment